"Giving birth is an ecstatic jubilant adventure not available to males.

It is a woman's crowning creative experience of a lifetime." ~ Dr. John Stevenson



"The Road Less Traveled..." of Parenthood

Following your instincts instead of the crowd

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Thursday, January 8, 2009

So hard to say good-bye. . .

OK, I know I'm 43 and I know 7 kids is a lot, (granted only 4 are still at home) but how does a woman who has come to love the pregnancy/birth/babymoon process say "I'm done. I will never experience that again?" My last three pregnancies/births have been the most incredible wonderful, life-changing experiences of my life. It makes me sad to say I'm done. Yet I know I'm done--my family now feels complete.

I will miss the excitement and joy of that positive pregnancy test, the first stirrings of life within me, the later constant but delightful kicking and moving while I'm trying to fall asleep at night, the look of surprise and the delighted laugh of a toddler when they feel the baby inside my belly kick their hands, the wonderful feeling of having another spirit, pure and innocent, constantly with me, the INTENSE, exciting sensations of labor and birth, and especially those first magical moments when I get to meet the little person I carried inside me for 9 months. I love the motherlove hormones, the altered state of consciousness when I am totally absorbed in working to bring forth my baby, the sweet smell of my newborn baby's head, holding my baby tummy to tummy while feeding them at my breast and marveling at the incredibly soft skin and the sheer beauty of their tiny perfectness. I love the quiet, yet supreme knowledge that I am a partner with God in the creation of life. Can anything else in the world compare to all this??

One thing allows me to say good-bye to all this--It is the faith and hope in this scripture:
"Those who are sealed in holy temples and who faithfully keep their covenants will receive God's glory, which 'shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever' (D&C 132:19)."

I don't have to say good-bye forever, only for "a little while."